Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Tenth

Okay so I know this has nothing to do with photography, nor do I have any photos to show you today, but I thought I would share this story.

If you have the privilege of knowing me outside of the Internet, you probably know (or will find out soon) that I have become hooked on Doctor Who. Yes, I know. I had always said I wouldn't ever watch it because I did not understand it and thought it was some weird sci-f show. Which, honestly, it is, but that's not my point. However, on one rainy Sunday afternoon in November, curiosity got the better of me, and I haven't looked back since. Someone should have warned me of the emotional involvement. Or is that only me???

Anyway, a couple weeks ago, my sister and I were at the mall and we had run into some friends. While we were standing and talking, my sister started elbowing me in the ribs. She nodded towards the store which we were standing in front of, a men's suit store.

As it was close to closing time, an employee was kneeling down on the ground and locking the metal entrance gate. His back was to us but I could see he was wearing a long, tan overcoat. Red sneakers caught my eye as they stood out from under the edge of his coat.

Instantly, an image of this guy appeared in my head:


{via}

At last, after fiddling with the jangling keys, the man stood up and turned around. His brown hair stood up on end over his forehead and a dark red tie was tucked into a navy vest and matching pants. A slight smirk came over his face as he caught us watching him.

"The Doctor, Emily, he looks just like him!" My sister whispered.

The man in the red shoes tucked the keys into his coat pocket and began walking away. He glanced at us again, this time with a smile, as he continued walking away.  His open coat waved behind him like a cape, until he disappeared out the door of the mall.

My sister and I looked at each other in disbelief of what we just saw. We turned back to the conversation that had continued, the others completely unaware of what was going on around them.

Since then, we have waked past that same store several times in the last few weeks, hoping to see that man again, but we never had. Maybe we haven't recognized him in different clothing, or maybe he has a different work schedule, or maybe he was just a holiday employee.


Or maybe I've just been watching too much TV.


No comments

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thanks for taking the time to add your thoughts!

EMILY MARGARET. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.